Saturday 26 October 2013

Sunny Valdiva, Chile

It's been beautiful here since I've arrived in Valdiva, the areas capital city on Thursday evening. The mornings here are cool, but as soon as the sun comes out the day really heats up and I'm soon down to my t shirt. It's really got the feeling of spring here.

It was my second day that I was back to the fishmongers quay and to watch the sea lions, and the various birds ... It has a real draw to me, with wildlife so close.

                      
The sea lions move between this pontoon, the wall of the market and wooden platforms, which you will see later. 




One of two types of vultures (the other has a black head) and they are truly amazing how the strip a fish downtown it's skelton.

      

The fishmongers stalls are full of different types of fish and shellfish. Once a fish has been identified the fishmonger guts and fillets the fish, the guts and skeleton get thrown over the fence for the waiting sea lions, vultures, pelicans, various gulls and cormorants ...

      

All the commotion is happening at a lower level and this hawk caught my eye.  It was just 1mt away waiting for an opportunity to be grabbed, which he found!

      

The pelican shot I'd been waiting of as they occasionally fly off to get a catch and then return. The roof of the market provides a good sanctuary and resting place for the birds.

      

      

These guys are 200mt along the shore and this would seem to be the resting up area.  There was a fair amount of posturing going on underneath the structure. It would seem that there is an order to who is allowed up ...

      

I decided to push my brief Spanish today and order some food. Well I got the beer and chips right, but I realise now ensalada is salad, rather than a Mexican dish!!

It's been a good few days resting up and I'm looking forward to Tuesday evening and the start of the first sea kayak south pacfic synposium. Although it's now 1900 here and due to a 5 hour time difference is 0100 in the morning, back in the UK. I'll be lucky if I make 2000 at this rate!! 

Roger
roger chandler
www.coastalspirit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment