Monday 13 September 2010

Paddle around Sicily, Italy - October 2010



Well with two weeks to go before we both fly out to Sicily, I'm finally getting excited! I bought one of those travel shirts today as in the past paddling in hot climates my neck takes a bit of a hit!

Initially we will be involved in the Aeolian islands sea kayak symposium, and then a couple of days to buy supplies and enjoy the grape harvest, then we are due to begin on the 11th October. We then have 35 days to work with, which hopefully will allow for some rest, exploration and any storm bound days. The paddle is around the 1000k mark, and my initial thoughts are to travel in an anti clock wise direction, not sure why, but that feels like the right way. Francesco who runs http://maremotu.it/ is our host and is sorting out composite sea kayaks for us, plus he has paddled around the island before, so he is more likely to have an idea of any particular winds for this time of the year.

A good friend of ours, Lizzy will be opening emails and holding the fort a couple of hours a week, so please be patient and kind with her, as she has a real full time job to manage as well!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck to you both I am sure you will have a great time. I am looking forward to my next trip with you, I need a few more skills and a lot more experience if I am to bag my first challenge which I have decided is a round Anglesey trip!

    Regards,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete